Tuesday, February 12, 2008

When You Can't Play Games

You know, it is really difficult to want to do something when you can't. Take me for example, I am a pretty big fan on online gaming. I've played Final Fantasy XI, World of Warcraft, Everquest, tried to play Everquest 2 but my computer wouldn't run it, City of Heroes/Villains, and the Matrix Online. Most of this happened either on my summer breaks or before I got to college. You see, where I go to college it's very difficult to play something I want to play. This wasn't the case at first. When I was a freshman three years ago, any online game I wanted to play was open. Now this was a problem for the small campus. Because all the ports were open people were free to use filesharing programs like Kazaa or Limewire. Okay, so I used to use these too, but they ended up taking so much bandwidth (or something) and the IT department closed every port except for the general internet.

This was bad for me. I was paying monthly for WoW and City of Heroes at the same time, along with XBox Live. What was I going to do? I couldn't play any of my games! Eventually World of Warcraft became unblocked so I played it for a while. Now XBox Live is unblocked though I have to hotwire it in a way to get it to work. That's great and all, but what's a gamer to do if he wants to play, I don't know, another game? I'm not so sure yet. In fact I just re-bought Final Fantasy XI on the 360 so I could try it out again. Justin and I spent at least 30 minutes last night trying to figure out how to hotwire the XBox before we just gave up. This morning I tried it again and it worked but lo and behold, Final Fantasy XI's ports are blocked.

Well, this is certainly a rant post, so I'll keep it short. I'll keep you all updated when I figure out exactly what I'm going to do. For now, I'm going home for the weekend between trimesters, so if nothing else I can play it then. Thanks for reading.

No comments: